What does Ayurveda say about ojas, the source of the life energy and longevity in the human body?
According to Ayurvedic science, Ojas represent a source of life energy in humans and is a key to longevity. Diet greatly affects the health and energy of the body. Processed food (junk food) and food with a high level of sugar and preservatives do not have a positive effect on the human body, which differs in each individual, requires a customised diet and activities according to the type of organism, i.e. dosha that prevails.
Ojas has also been known in ancient civilizations, where it has been long explored through Ayurveda, a science more than 5,000 years old. Ayurveda says that everybody has its own rhythm and its own connection with nature and biology has proven that proteins and enzymes in our organisms are different and individual. Ayurveda considers optimisation of our diet to be necessary by triggering the healing mechanisms in the body and satisfying the enzymes and proteins found in our body, giving them the elements that make them healthy and long-lasting.
What is ojas?
Ojas can be considered as the essence of vitality, and it is an energy that is largely responsible for human immunity, strength, appearance, happiness and good mood. A weak ojas in the body puts health at risk, because then the immunity weakens and makes the body susceptible to various diseases. Ayurveda teaches how to recognise the condition of your ojas, and how to improve it.
Signs of a high and healthy ojas are:
· healthy and glowing skin
· sparkly eyes
· strong physical strength
· good immunity
· good temper
· youthful appearance, regardless of age
How to protect your vital energy or ojas:
1. Considering that ojas is the end product of digestion and its quality is directly related to the quality of your digestive fire (Agni), it is important to pay attention to the health of your digestive system.
2. Quality and balanced sleep is key to your vitality and ojas protection and has a huge impact on overall vitality. Sleep plays an important role for tissue regeneration and rejuvenation, and helps to effectively remove metabolic waste and toxins from your body. Sleep is sometimes the best cure because the body’s cells rejuvenate during sleep. Aim for seven to nine hours of sleep every night.
3. As ojas and immunity are closely connected, the construction and protection of ojas stimulates a strong immune system. The ancient yogic breathing techniques, known as pranayama, strengthen immunity, nourish all body tissues and maintains the energy of the three doshas.
4. According to Ayurveda, the most valued form of ojas can be found in the heart, which means that by caring for this extremely important organ, you also nurture and protect the ojas. It is necessary to calm your mind and feelings with meditation, through spending quality time in nature and in the open, by doing what fills you and makes you happy, maintaining happy and healthy relationships with your self and with others.
5. Regular use of Rasayana, ancient preparations and spices that rejuvenate and regenerate the body, helps to preserve your vitality and health.
6. Practicing self-massage or Abhyanga. Before taking a bath, regularly apply warm sesame oil on your skin to preserve and increase ojas. The skin is your biggest organ, and by applying warm herbal oils you can balance vata dosha and improve ojas.
7. Building up ojas with proper nutrition. According to Ayurveda, food is your medicine, which means that you can renew ojas through the food you eat. Since the qualities of ojas are described in Ayurveda as sweet, heavy, cold and smooth, the food that builds up the ojas embodies these properties, for example, avocado and banana.
A few more things that need to be considered to keep your ojas:
· hanging out with positive people
· practicing yoga and physical exercise
· physical contact with other people
· waking up at dawn
· going to bed early
· generally adopting a healthier lifestyle.
As ojas is connected with digestion and the ways food circulates in your body, the connection of intestinal microbes with health is being observed more and more intensively. Ojas research shows that there is a great connection with fertility as well as mental health, so it is important to know about ojas if you want to improve your natural health.
Ojas is one of the hot topics at our Tantra Teacher Training. Join our new course and gain scientific and spiritual knowledge on Tantra.